Tuesday, September 27, 2011

a rose by any other name!!

We got a wine truck in today and I am always looking for the most intriguing label.  This time it happened to be a wine from Southern France, Perrin Nature ( I have a fondness for butterflies) from the Cotes du Rhone.  I LOVE wines from this region for they tend to have just the right spicy fruitiness for my taste.  Beverly and I thought that it would be fun to compare this young 2010 wine with Domain Clavel, a 2007 wine from the same region.   Wow was it fun to tast and see the differences!  Domain Clavel had a nice brick color.  It was very pleasing to my nose as I smelled deep black cherries or currants.  There was full fruit with lots of peppery spices in the back.  Comparing this to the Perrin Nature, the colors were strikingly different.  The Perrin Nature was more solid with dark plummy colors.  It had a more earthy smell with hints of flowers.  The tast was even more young tasting, as it was brighter and seemed to be softer in body.  It had more fruits than the Domain Clavel had, and with only hints of spices.  I had lots of fun tasting these side by side as it helped me understand how wines can come from the same place but still have their differences.  For the ending thoughts on both of these lovely wines, I have to say that I like them both!  For dinner I would have the Domain Clavel and for sipping, bring on the Perrin Nature! 
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment