Saturday, August 27, 2011

Forgeron Cellars: Blacksmith Merlot 2008

When I first tried this wine, I was a little hesitant. Of course, that isn't saying much. I really don't have much experience with wine so I'm hesitant around most of them. One of the first things I noticed about this wine was the color. It's a very nice, deep red, with a hint of burgundy; it kind of reminded me of the color of grape jelly. It also sits very nicely in my glass. It moves as I move and reflects just the right amount of light. There isn't much I could say about the smell. It smells like wine, which is a good place to start I suppose. I am still in the process of fine tuning my nose. When I first tasted it, I didn't really have much to say about it except, it's dry. Now, my mother loves dry wines. So I grew up tasting her wine and it didn't do much for my fondness of dry wines. The first few sips left my tongue cringing. However, I tried some Bravo chipotle cheddar cheese and then some paté. Boy, did that make a difference. I immediately changed my mind after having some paté. Not only did the paté relieve my tongue, it also brought out more flavors in the wine and made it a much more pleasant experience. Suddenly, the dry, albeit pretty, wine was something I could see drinking with dinner.

- Caite

No comments:

Post a Comment